Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hanna's In Florida!

Hanna has been sending us updates from her trip in Florida. This is a perfect addition to our study of Geography. Check out the photos to see what it looks like in and around Long Boat Key. Feel free to add comments about what you see and I'd love some responses to Hanna's question about the Red Knot birds.

Hanna's mom wrote this:
Hanna and Cullen weren't with me but the Florida Fish & Game Department with interns were capturing the Red Knot birds on the Long Boat Key Beach in big nets.
They were tagging the birds to track their migration path. Some were tagged with a radio tracker but mostly numbered. It is my understanding the birds flew from Antarctica.
It was incredible to watch. There were hundreds of birds on the beach. Hanna thought it would be a great challenge question - what is the migration path of the Red Knot bird?

Hanna wrote:

This was the boat ride through the canals. The bird just stayed while we puttered past. The scene was spectacular.

Here are some pictures of it!




Today me and Cullen went into the ocean. (wavy day). We found at the beach an olive shell and a sand dollar. Then we went for a boat ride and I saw a dolphin twice.


Yesterday we drove over to the Mote Marine Laboratory. Why it is called that is because they take care of mammals that live is the ocean. They have a hospital in the aquarium.We also read that the average Manatee is 10 feet and the baby size is 4 feet. Today at 11 o'clock am we are going to see shark training.






Here's Hanna's final update before she heads back North!

These are some photos of when we went to see the shark feeding.It was fascinating to see this site. Some of the sharks were HUGE!

When saw the shark feeding we also saw the dolphins! They were fipping in the water in was so funny. Yesterday we went to the beach and the wave looked liked tiny sunomy waves.That same day i walked on the beach with my grandfather I saw a washed up sea turtle. I'll be in be in school on Wednesday.
Hanna


15 comments:

hanna said...

Theres more from that came from because I'll e-mail more today.

:)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Lalancette said...

Wow, Hanna, have you ever been so close to sharks before? I'm wondering what happened to that poor sea turtle. Did you collect any shells to bring home?
I can't wait to see you Wednesday!

Koell said...

the red knot bird flies the Atlantic flyway. every year it flies 20,000 miles.

Anonymous said...

That must of been cool. Did you see any strange creatures that you have never seen before? Ashleigh

trevan said...

It looks like the shark is in a tank in Florida. Hanna is a good worker.

Unknown said...

I liked the mantee when I was at Florida I saw a baby mantee take its first breathe.

kevin said...

was there anything in the tank the shark was in?

McD said...

hanna how big were wave

Taylor said...

When I was in Florida I saw some wild mantes. There was a mother and a baby taking its first breath.

robbie said...

Did you get to touch the manatee? What was the texture? Is the manatee related to a walrus.

Anonymous said...

Things I know about the red knot birds. The scientific name is calidris canutus.

nathalie said...

Hanna,
did you see any thing other then manatees lately you have been talking about this sting Rey that you said there was and when did you see it? Hanna i cant believe your pictures you e-mailed Mr.Willis they are incredible did you go to see world and did you see some of those at the beach like the turtle and is the turtle dead? Hanna do you know how long a see turtle can live for because i don't and do you know how old that see turtle was could give a guess of some kind.
your friend,
Nathalie Paquette

nathalie said...

Leila how do you know that scientific word is?

nathalie said...

Koell how do you know that the red knot bird flies 20,000 miles every year?