Friday, April 17, 2009

How Much Water Do You Use?

Hello!
Now that you have had time to record your water usage, please add a comment that has your amounts. Were you surprised by the numbers? Did you have any idea how much water you used? Do you think that you use less than the averages? Why? After reading the cover story in the Time For Kids magazine, do you feel differently about the way you will use water? Explain. I hope that you are having a great vacation,
Mr. Willis

14 comments:

carly said...

After I read the artical I felt different about wasting and saving water. I might not have enough water when I'm older!
Here are my water recordings:

Taking a shower: 1- 1*16=16

Taking a bath: 0 (I don't take bath's I take showers) 0*70=0

Flushing toilet: 3- 3*5=15

Brushing Teeth: 2- 2*1=2

Washing hands: 4- 4*1=4

TOTAL: 37 gallons.

I didn't think I used that much water!

Anonymous said...

After I read the article, I felt like I should save water, because when I am an adult, there might not be enough water to drink.
Here are my water recordings:

Taking a shower:1- 1*16=16

Taking a bath: 0 (I don't take baths, I take showers!)0*70=0

Flushing a toilet: 3-4- 3*5=15
4*5=20
Answer:15-20

Brushing teeth: 2- 2*1=2

Washing hands: 3-4- 3*1=3
4*1=4
Answer:3-4

TOTAL: 36-42 gallons of water per day. I use 252-294 gallons of water per week.

sophia said...

I feel it is important to save water because I want the next generation to have as much water as possible. when i am an Adult I want to have water to drink!! Here are my recordings:
Taking a shower:16 gallons

Taking a bath: 0 gallons

flushing toilet:20 gallons

brushing teeth: 2 gallons

washing hands: 6 gallons
Total: 44 gallons
Wow!!! I had no Idea I used that much water!!!! I also found out that I use 308 gallons of water a week! well I guess it isn't quite that much because I only take a shower every other day.

Mr. Willis said...

Happy Earth Day a few days late! Thanks to the three of you for posting your comments and your results. Here are mine:
Shower: 1*16 = 16
Toilet: 4*5 = 20
Teeth: 2*1= 2
Hands: 5*1= 5

Total = 43 gallons

I am shocked at how much that is. Now I think my results are not really accurate because:
1. I shower every other day
2. I turn off the water when I brush my teeth and shave
3. We have low water toilets. They only take a 1.5 gallons each flush
4. We have a water reducer on our shower

As a gardener I am really concerned about my water use because of all the summer watering. I hope to build a rain barrel this spring to catch water and I started catching water in a jug when I wait for the tap to heat up.
We are lucky in the Northeast because it is NOT a dry place!
I hope your vacation is going really well!

Logan said...

Taking a shower: 0- 0*16=0

Taking a bath: 0 - 0*70=0

Flushing toilet: 2- 2*5=10

Brushing Teeth: 2 - 2*1=2

Washing hands: 3- 3*1=3

Total = 15 gallons

I don't use as much water as the sheet says for all of the different things.

I don't take a shower every day.

lucien said...

1 shower a day

0 baths

4-5 flushing the toilet

2 brushing teeth

7-8 washing hands

TOTAL:36 gallons

I use 252 gallons of water in one week.

Unknown said...

I agree with carly after I read the article I felt different about saving water and wasting water. When I get older I might not have enough water!
here are my recordings:

taking a shower: 1-16*16=16

taking a bath 0*70=0

flushing a toilet 4*5=20

brushing teeth 2*1=2

washing hands 4*1=4

my total was 97 gallons.

nathalie said...

After I read the artical I felt diffrent about wasting and saving water.I might not have enough when i'm older!
Here are my water recordings:

Taking a shower:4-16=64

Taking a bath:0-70=0

Flushing the toilet: 20-3=60

Brushing teeth:8- 1pint=1gallon

Washing hands:50-1gallon=50

Total=175 gallons

How much water my famiy uses a week 1,225 gallons.

laura said...

After I read the article, I wanted to save water. I get my water out of lake Champlain. My recordings are...

Taking a shower: 1=16 gallons.

Taking a bath: 0=0 gallons.

Flushing the toilet: 3=15 gallons.

Brushing my teeth: 2=2 gallons.

Washing hands: 3=3 gallons.

Total: 36 gallons per day.

I use 222 gallons per week and my dogs use 70 gallons per week. (taking a bath)

jccronan said...

I always thought I used to much water then I realized I was wrong!
Here my recordings:

Taking a shower 1= 1*16=16

Taking a bath 0= 0*70=0

Flushing the toilet 2= 2*5=10

Brushing teeth 1= 1*1=1

Washing hands 1= 1*1=1

Total= 28 gallons

In a week 196 gallons

robbie said...

1. I brushed my teeth once every night.

2. I drink ed less water.

3. I took shorter shower.

adam said...

taking a shower: 8 gallons
flushing a toilet: 15 gallons
brushing teeth: 2 gallons
washing hands: 4 gallons

total: 29 gallons
one week:209 gallons

mariah said...

the amount of water I used was 42gallons by my self!
Taking a shower:1- 1*16=16
taking a bath: 0 (I realy don't take baths) o*70=0
flushing the toilet:4- 4*5=20
brushing teeth: 2- 2*1=2
washing hands: 4- 4*1=4
Total:42

laura said...

We all are using A LOT of water... Even in one day!