Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Celestial Excitement!

Hello class,
The CQ I want you to look up has to do with a special sight in the night sky. It has been visible since the past weekend so you may have seen it. If not, you can try tonight, but I think that it will be too cloudy. Never fear! Follow the link below to learn about what you have seen or what you can still see when the sky clears. Be sure to click around to find the sky charts and links to photos of the event. Post the name of the event and the names of the objects involved. Feel free to add comments about your own observations.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Mr. Willis

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The thing" that is happening is called the Great Conjunction. It is where Venus, Jupiter, and the cresent moon are in the sky together. The picture at Spaceweather.com shows all 2 planets and the moon together.

laura said...

I looked and couldnt find anything so I looked in the sky but it was to cloudy.

sophia said...

I agree with Zachary. I think it is the Great Conjunction. the planets involved are the Moon, Venus, and Jupiter. the Great Conjunction is when the Moon,Jupiter,and Venus gather together in one patch of sky. Isn't that amazing?! I also think the article about the moonbow is really cool. Do you think it is ice that causes it?

Liam Mc said...

I also agree with Zachary & Sophia about it being the Great Conjunction. The moonbows are also really neat too. I enjoyed all of the pictures on the website but couldnot view anything from outside.

carly said...

I agree with Zachary, Sophia and Liam Mc. The thing that is happening in the sky is called the Great Conjunction. It's when you can see Venus, Jupiter and the cresent moon.

Mr. Willis said...

OK, well done finding the answer. I looked tonight and while the moon is farther away, you can still see the two planets. I would love to hear other people post what they found interesting about this website. I was also wondering how far away Jupiter and Venus are from Earth. Anyone up for more research?

hanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.